The Vestry Group has now finished for the summer and will start again in September when we hope to welcome some new children to add to our children who come most weeks.
I enjoyed leading Vestry Group on Sunday 10th July where they learned about The Good Samaritan. I made a PowerPoint Presentation which included the ‘Brick Bible’ which told the story in Lego. I also prepared two crafts which included a ‘Helping Hands’ sheet where the children drew around their hands and formed a heart in the middle where they wrote about what they could do extra to help other people. The second craft was for display where a road was painted down the middle of some lining paper and the children wrote on the road what they already do to help other people. They also made a hand print beside the road and this craft is now displayed in the children’s area in St Eustachius’ Church so if you missed seeing it on Sunday 10th you can take a look if you wish to! The children also learned a song which I found and they preformed it to the congregation, it was very catchy – even the Vicar joined in at the end!
Here is an old saying about St Bartholomew’s Day which is on the 24th August:-
If St Bartholomew’s Day be fair and clear,
Then a prosperous autumn comes that year.
Below is a quiz about women who were Saints for adults to test their knowledge! Please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org with your answers or give your answers to me on a Sunday morning in Church by Sunday 14th August 2016. There may be a prize!
1) This patron saint was a wonderful musician but sadly met her demise in 280 A.D., when she was violently stabbed through the neck. Who is this patron saint of singers and poets?
- Saint Cecilia
- Saint Louise
- Saint Camillus
- Saint Brigid
2) This female patron saint shares the same first name as a modern-day successful “home-baking” entrepreneur. Coincidentally, this patron saint is associated with cooks, dieticians and domestic servants. Who is she?
- Saint Dymphna
- Saint Martha
- Saint Anna
- Saint Lidwina
3) This female patron saint shares a name with a character from the sitcom “Friends” and also has given her name to a famous city in California. She is the patron saint of wayward children, victims of adultery, those suffering from alcoholism and victims of verbal abuse. Who is she?
- Saint Monica
- Saint Rita
- Saint Helen
- Saint Lucy
4) This patron saint shares a name with a young girl who journeyed somewhere over the rainbow. Who is this patron of horticulture, flowers, florists and gardeners?
- Saint Dorothy
- Saint Emily
- Saint Juanita
- Saint Teresa
5) This is a very misunderstood Biblical lady is patroness of the perfume trade because of her association with fragrant ointments. Who is she?
- Saint Martha
- Saint Mary Magdalene
- Saint Lydia Purpuraria
- Saint Elizabeth
Exam results are due this month so I hope everyone will have been successful – including myself! I hope all the children are having a lovely summer holiday and I will write to you all in September.
With love, Martha x
Vestry Group Birthdays in August:
Eva – 8 years old – Happy Birthday!
Wednesday 3rd August (Drop in from 3:30pm to 5:30pm) – Messy Church
Wednesday 10th August (4pm-5pm) – Mini Messy Church
Wednesday 17th August (4pm-5pm) – Mini Messy Church
Wednesday 24th August (4pm-5pm) – Mini Messy Church